Sunday, February 14, 2010

Does Anybody Know What Time It Is?


Time

Summer time.  Winter time.  African time.  On time.  Enough time.  What time?

Time is a theme that I keep bumping into.  I don’t have a watch so I rely on my cell phone.  It’s only problematic when I have to pull out the sim card to put it into my modem so I can work online.  Then I count on either the television to see if he time is displayed or I recognize a show that comes on at a particular time.  Or I check on the computer and do the math by adding 7 hours to whatever shows up to get a sense of what time it might be.   To re-set my cell phone upon replacing the sim card, I have to remember that here it’s important to use military time so that the alarm goes off in the morning and the evening time is accurate.

Time is important with my routines. I’ve figured out that if I’m up by 6, then I can get through my morning rituals of showering, ironing my clothes, eating some breakfast, and picking up my flat before heading out to work in time to miss most of the traffic.  Of course, this is a major city and I live on a huge campus, so allowing adequate time to get from my flat to the office is a real challenge.  At my first intersection I have to make a right hand turn at a light with 3 lanes facing 4 lanes trying to cross 4 lanes with no turn signal. In the morning that means that perhaps 2-3 cars can make the right turn at each click of the light going our way.  Even though I only have one more turn onto another road, it’s never a certainty that all the lights will work or that a taxi (really a small van) won’t cut in front of me while I’m still trying to make sure that I’ve shifted into the right gear.

What does it mean to be on time for a meeting?  I’ve finally learned that if I’m joining someone so that we can go somewhere together, I should call first.  As at my own institution, students stop by at the last minute with questions, another colleague comes by and needs to talk, or the phone rings and so getting to the meeting or the next place gets postponed to take care of more pressing issues.  How long are the meetings once we’re there.  There are two set meeting times each week of one hour.  Then there are other meetings that are set to address bigger issues over longer blocks of time.  The departmental meeting to review the module revisions that will impact the proposed distance education degree started right on time at 3 and lasted until 6 (1500-1800).  Today’s department meeting to officially talk about the purpose of my stay was set to run during the 9:30-10:30 time slot.  I was there early with all the stuff I had brought, began talking informally with colleagues as they arrived and then watched as the time flew by while we talked together about what we hoped to accomplish in the next few months.  We looked at setting up times to talk together as individuals and time to address larger issues and interests.

Then I watch my new colleagues racing through time as they have back-to-back classes and need enough time to breathe between groups, reset or refocus between groups, or just time to get a quick drink of water or tea before teaching again. This contrasts sharply with tea time when people take a break to make a cup of coffee or tea, perhaps have a snack or early lunch, and sit down to visit with whoever is in the tea room.  Sometimes people will go to the staff dining room to order a cup of something to drink and maybe a sandwich or salad.  In either setting, there’s the time for talk about our personal lives or our professional concerns, but most often the conversations move back and forth across topics and interests and it’s truly a mental health break before we go back to our offices or classes.

The gift of time that this leave offers is absolutely amazing.  I find that I’m taking time at the end of the day to walk around the track that surrounds the rugby field on the Groenklof campus where the education college is located.  When Ben is here, he shoots baskets while I walk laps and then read or watch him.  When he’s gone, then it’s just me walking for a while before heading home to catch Oprah while I enjoy my glass of wine, watching Isidingo (one of my soaps) and cooking supper during the commercials, and catching the 7:00 news while eating supper.  Then it’s time to get a little more work done until 8:00 when it’s time for Generations.  That’s my favorite soap opera and I don’t do anything else except to enjoy a cup or two of rooibos tea.  Then there’s time to work some more on editing videos or reading.

I find that I still spend time online – as much as ever before.  This time, it doesn’t seem to be to address my short attention span, but to maintain the connection between myself and my family and friends.  I look forward to those quick emails that come through that let me know about what’s going on at home.  When I read the messages from Ken and my children, I’m grateful for their support in letting me be away for so long to do something that feels very selfish.  Let’s face it, I’m warm, walking barefoot on the track.  I have someone who comes in to clean my flat and wash my dishes everyday.  There’s no doggie droppings or demands on me.  My children are managing their lives quite capably and competently and I’m so proud of the young adults they have become.  My dear friends and colleagues are wrestling with so many issues in our program and department.  As they all know, I’m thrilled to miss out on all of those meetings and discussions and just keep reminding myself that they are incredibly wise and know what’s really important in the work that we do.  Then there are my friends at Trinity who remain in my thoughts.  We share deep friendships with many people here and our time together in South Africa and with our time with our South African friends when they were with us in Harrisonburg binds us together closely.

Today is also a very special time to remember here in South Africa.  20 years ago today, Nelson Mandela was released from prison at Paarl and made his first public appearance after 27 years in prison.  What a long time he served for what he believed to be right and just.  I’ve read about all the he did during that time and it amazes me that during such a challenging period in history and his personal life, he emerged an incredible inspiration and leader for so many people.  I can’t think about the costs involved in his being away for so long on his family and on his health. 

So then, since I have so much time to think now, I can’t help but wonder about how I spend my time.  What is important about the time that is mine each moment?  How do I use the time that is mine? Today I met the consultant who led the workshop for the fourth year students.  During our tea time Leola talked about the sudden death of her husband and how she has spent the last year since his death.  This morning, Nkidi and I had a cup of coffee and talked about the time she spent as a young girl, living with her grandmother.  She talked about the wonderful stories her gogo told as they cooked supper outside with the moon for light.  She said that even now, she and her four siblings remember the prayers that their gogo had taught them.  This afternoon, I had a text from Themba saying that he and the children were waiting for Thembela to come out of her gall bladder surgery, spending that time together.  And Nico texted to let me know that he had spent time today tracking down a book I had left in my car when we were trying to get it fixed and had picked up a loaner until mine was ready.

I enjoy my time alone, there’s no doubt.  I love to be able to work and think and find it a precious gift to have the time right now to do just that.  But I think what I enjoy the most, is having the time to read a lengthy email from one of my kids, or talk to someone I love on skype, or chat with a new friend over tea, or hang out with Ben while he shoots baskets or watches tv with me (FYI, he watches my soaps and I watch is WWF Wrestling). 

Now, it’s time to get back to editing videos…

No comments:

Post a Comment