Monday, January 18, 2010

Arrival!

Well, we're here. For me the flight was smooth and relatively quick. I must have slept more than I realized because I only managed to watch a couple movies, my favorite was Time Traveler's Wife, and then it was time for the refreshing wipe, some food, and another movie before landing. Ben spent more time watching movies than actually sleeping, but proved to be a good travel companion.

Once off the plane we made it through passport control quickly and then had a longer wait to get through customs with that very lovely camera with the fancy lenses. I had my first warning that one of my credit cards was rejected when paying the VAT tax so Ken already has a list of bank things to do for tomorrow. Once through customs we looked around for our friends, but finding no one we knew, we exchanged some money to start my time in the country. As we came out of the money exchange space and started looking for the diary with the phone numbers, Themba appeared with Lisha, Thabiso, and Maria. We were soon joined by Isaiah and Andiswa. Lots of hugs all round and then we headed out of the airport to Themba's house for one of Thembela's wonderful meals. We feasted on chicken wings, lamb ribs, veggies, and rice with great gravy. She had fruit and pudding for dessert. After conversation and planning for tomorrow, Ben gave up for bed and I decided to address all the emails.

Tomorrow we'll be in search of a car and some driving lessons before Ben heads off to Zambia for a couple weeks with his sister Caroline and her husband Trevor.

1 comment:

  1. Teresa,
    seems like you are doing pretty well!!!
    I look forward to learning more about your work and life there! Take care, Shin Ji

    ReplyDelete