Monday, January 18, 2010

The Weekend

The final weekend at home was an adventure. Friday started off calmly enough with Ben sleeping in and then working on packing and additional laundry so that he had all his things together and ready to go. I continued to obsess over what books would go into which bags since my clothes had been packed for a couple weeks (or was it only one). My dear friend Ann treated me to lunch at Little Grill. The special was a black bean quesadilla that was delicious! We had girl time to talk through our "stuff" and then she returned me home so that I could get ready for a meeting in Staunton.

The International Beliefs and Values Institute (IBAVI) has moved towards nonprofit status and is now housed at Mary Baldwin College. This amazing organization moves scholars out of the ivory tower and into the real world to examine global issues that affect us all locally and local issues that have global impact. I served on the executive board last year and when IBAVI reorganized, I was invited to continue on the new board. What an honor for me to continue a relationship that values scholarship and action. This group is wonderful for letting good ideas soar while remaining firmly grounded in getting things done to make the world a better place for everyone.

Thank goodness my husband Ken has learned that when I get caught up in the world of ideas, I'm going to be running late. He kindly scheduled our dinner reservations at the Joshua Wilton House for 6:30 so that I could make it home and change clothes before our date night dinner, sponsored in large part by a Christmas gift from daughter Rachel. The food was fabulous and my filet mignon melted in my mouth. Fortunately the servings are larger than my appetite and I ended up with lunch for Saturday. And thanks to my friend Amy recommending her husband Shawn's tiramisu, I had an amazing dessert!

Once home, it was time for a quick skype call to Jennifer from Juneau to discuss the web page for the Association for Constructivist Teaching. Jennifer is an amazing science educator who is new to the ACT Board, but a dynamo of brains and energy to support the kinds of things we're trying to accomplish in helping teachers examine their work in light of learners and learning.

Saturday was errand day: to the bank, to the store, to another store to weigh the luggage (twice!) to finish the packing and get things into the car. Ken provided pizza for our last family meal so we could all just relax a little bit. Of course, once he and I called it a night, Ben was inspired to make chocolate chip cookies with friends.

Sunday was "head to the airport" day. Abbey and Richy got up to say goodbye, Becky took us to the airport, and Ben and I headed out. It was so much fun to watch Ben, on his first airplane ride since he was 4, as he watched us take off, fly through the clouds, and end up in blue skies. We managed a window seat to Atlanta, but missed out on the longer ride. Fortunately, it was dark as we took off so he wasn't too disappointed. And we were on our way!

No comments:

Post a Comment