The official countdown to South Africa has begun! This is my last week in the states and I have a long list of things to do before leaving. It's hard to believe that already I've gone through the application process for a Fulbright award, had two different trips to the country to explore and prepare, and managed to pull together a research agenda to complement my teaching responsibilities. But there you have it! And now, it's the last week before flying to my new home for the next 6 months.
Today I made a trip to the local drug store to get Ben's prescriptions filled so that he had his asthma meds and his antimalarial prescription. At the same time, I realized that I managed to lose my own prescriptions for antimalarials and added that to my list of things to do tomorrow. Already on that list is having Ben locate his nebulizer to pack, check on dependent health care while traveling abroad, and securing additional prescriptions to take with me so that our health care needs are addressed. Fulbright has a plan for awardees so I already have my card to take care of that side of insurance so I'll also call my insurance company to see what else I need to do before leaving.
Another challenge for me as a mom, is making sure that my children - all adults- have the care and information they need before I leave. We've had our share of surprises in the last few weeks with health "events" for both Abbey and Stephanie and return-to-college preparations for Abbey and Becky. Suzy pretty much handles all her grad school stuff, but we've been skyping about finances for the final semester while trying to figure out FAFSFA for Becky, Abbey, and Rachel. Thank goodness, Ben will finish exams this week and then just join me for the next 6-week term!
Caring for Ken is also a priority. We've been apart for long periods of time, but never this long! We've figured out skype and the peripherals that will allow us to have face to face connections, but that's not the same thing as seeing one another every day. I'll have all my friends and colleagues in South Africa and he'll have the same here. I'll have Ben and he'll have Richy, our Kenyan son, and the dogs. Somehow, I still think that life will be considerably different for us both!
Tonight is girls' night out with the "wise women". I have 3 incredible friends with whom I go out about once a month. This has been the most wonderful evening of the month to give and receive the unconditional support that we need. What a gift this will be as I say goodbye and we look ahead to the new year.
Monday is the first day of classes at JMU. I'll be in "lame duck" mode as I skip out on meetings and the first week of class, but write recommendation letters and continue to complete all the things on the "To Do" list. Stay tuned for more as I prepare to head out...
Sunday, January 10, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment